Sunday, August 12, 2007

The Playmaker scores one last TD...

Wassup, Y'all!

Despite livin' in Chi-town, vistors to the basement here in the Malone Zone will find no bigger Philadelphia Eagles fan. Philly was where ol Ty was first raised to the heavens like little Kunta Kinte and told to behold the only thing greater than himself. Yeah - I know that's dramatic but it's the real deal so as you can imagine, I never (to this day) had a bit of love for any player associated with the New York Giants, Washington Redskins, and damn sure not the Dallas Cowboys. So I've watched Michael Irvin trials and tribulations with strippers and weed and coke and what not with a knowing smile. I appreciated homeboy's 'say whatever's on your mind' commentary style - but I more so appreciated when he fell off track - a sign of a true hater. So as he approached his Hall of Fame enshrinement I was waiting to pounce on his induction speech and do some more crackin' on his a$$ right up to the moment he actually gave that speech for the ages...

I didn't catch it live (naturally) but once the whispering got started minutes after his speech was complete, I knew I was mishearing things. More than one sports analyst in the know referred to the speech as one of the best ever heard at Canton - right behind Terrie Bradshaw's. I'm all like - hmmm, Playmaker must have brought a couple Hooters girls out with him for visuals. Then I went to the video and I've been trying to get my foot out of my mouth since.

What I saw was a thoughtful, eloquent, humble, apologetic man who fully realized and acknowledged his faults and who also realized the singular honor it is to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Damn - it wasn't supposed to be like this! Don't take my word for it, y'all. Go to the video and see for yourselves. It'll take about 15-20 minutes of your time (if you fast forward past Jerry Jones' intro...all except the part about Philly being the last team to smack Michael's a$$ down during the last game of his career, but I digress...), but check it all out - you won't regret it.

Dang Playmaker. I see your final act was to shut my a$$ up. Well played, homey. Well played.

Peace@Least,

Tyrone

No comments: