Thursday, March 22, 2007

Deconstructing Tyrone

Wassup, Y'all!

Oh snap! A brother has *finally* been fount out! Man, it only took nearly three years and over 300 posts to get recognized as the smooth raconteur than y'all know me to be. I was recently hipped to a relatively new novel out there titled: 'Deconstructing Tyrone: A New Look at Black Masculinity in the Hip-Hop Generation'. Now, to paraphase my beat stealing boy Timbaland, I don't know these two shorty authors from a can of paint, but I riffled the pages (tho I must confess I haven't read it all) and they seem to have done an excellent job of capturing ol Ty's good side...

Okay, okay. This joint isn't *exactly* about me, tho the authors could have saved a lot of research by just fallin' through the basement and hollerin' at a player. Penned by shorty journalists Natalie Y. Moore (left) and Natalie Hopkinson (right), D-Con Ty poses the provocative questions: Do you know Tyrone? That smooth-talking, irresistible fellow whose essence is full of swagger, [flavor], rhythm, and flow? Yeah - y'all know me.

With sample chapter titles like: Tyronitity, The Pole Test [gotta love that one], Babydaddy, Tyrone at Work, Raising Tyrone, & Tyrones in Training there seems to be enough of ol Ty to go around.

Be that as it may, what caught my attention was an excerpt from the book that breaks down an urban legend surrounding the Boy King of Detroit, Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and it goes a little something like this - hit it!

From Chapter 1 - 'Boy Born Saturday'

"As the yarn goes, Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, the polical scion and former college football player elected at age 31 to lead the blackest big city in America, hosted a party at the mayoral residence, the Manoogian Mansion, months after he took office in 2002. The party got rowdy, the story goes, with strippers. Supposedly, Detroit's first lady came home early, and promptly beat a stripper's ass, sending her to the hospital."

Strippers? Beat downs? Can you come up with a better hook than that? You had me at 'Party', homegirls. Side Note: When will brothers ever get strippers figured out? Those chicks lead to more heartbreak than psoriasis...tho hey Kwame - I ain't hatin', I'm just statin'...

You can check out more on the book and what the authors are up to on the book's blog. If you happen to leave a comment, don't forget to tell the two Nats that OT (Original Tyrone) Ty Malone sent your azz over there and that I still have a few interview slots open to help them out with their sequel if they're interested. Least they can do is help a brother stack some paper after exposing his flow to the world....

Peace@Least,

Tyrone

No comments: