Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Kramer, The N-Word & The Big Deal

Wassup, Y'all!

This was the most appropriate glossy I could find of Michael 'Kramer' Richards, the goof who played Cosmo Kramer all those years on the Seinfeld sitcom. By now y'all are up to here with news about homeboy's racial tirade at a LA comedy club and his subsequent apology over his comments. Again, like Mel Gibson, Cosmo claims "I'm not a racist. That's what is so insane about this." Strange that both men can tap into such racial hatred so easily yet remain amazingly mystified as to where it comes from. Regardless, I'm thinking Cosmo's goose is cooked on this one and I'd like to remind my Malone Zone readers why, despite the southside's prodigious use of the N-Word, it's still not for general use, particularly by northsiders...

I know, I know - some of y'all are like, 'that's some ol bull$hit, Ty' - southsiders use that term all the time and nobody gets all hot! We'll all be in the club jamming to Jamie and Kanye talkin' 'bout 'Now I ain't saying she's a gold digger, but she ain't messin' with no broke ni$$ers" It's all good. What the problem with Cosmo throwing that term around? Y'all know I've been over this road before so for a refresher hit my 'That Nigga's Crazy' post.

As for Cosmo - not only did he use the N-Word, he went over the top by first stating,"Fifty years ago we'd have you upside-down with a fu#king fork up your a$$". Hence the bigger point that I can't stress enough - there's a history between southsiders and northsiders that began in the midst of some buckwild northside craziness. The feel good vibes we have between each other these days is superficial frosting on a cake with some jacked up feelings in the middle.

As previously mentioned, my boy 'Tini Mack turned me on to a powerful book called 'Without Sanctuary - Lynching Photography in America'. It should be a required book in any southsiders home library to hammer home just why we shouldn't be using the N-Word so lightly. However, I think it should also be required reading for northsiders - particularly those who feel the need to support Cosmo's use of the word. An appropriate quote from the book jacket follows:

"Many people today, despite the evidence, will not believe - don't want to believe - that such atrocities happened in America no so very long ago. These photographs bear witness to...an American holocaust." - Congressman John Lewis

According to Cosmo it was about 'fifty years ago'. Clearly more education on both sides is appropriate to help everyone realize that the N-Word is no laughing matter.

Get right, y'all.

Peace@Least,

Tyrone

No comments: