Saturday, July 15, 2006

Got Rich?

Wassup, Y'all!

*Finally* checked out Fiddy's movie 'Get Rich or Die Tryin' - that joint had been on my mama's Tivo so long that Fiddy has got to be up to about $7.25 by now with inflation. Part of my hesitancy to watch that joint was that whack phenomenon of every rapper thinking they can act. Sure a few can - Big Willie Style, Queen Latifa, Luda, Tupac and to a lesser degree Bow Wow, Nelly, Eminem, and now Fiddy. I think the best approach a movie director can take with the lower tier rapper/actors is to put them in a vehicle where all they have to do is be themselves, hence no real 'acting' is required. With Fiddy and 'Get Rich' - this approach worked to perfection...

Of course it never hurts to have Terrance Howard in your joint either. I like that brother in everything he's in - that's a smooth cat. A couple other notables I liked in this flick were Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje
- the new homeboy on Lost (Mr. Eko) and Joy Bryant who had some chemistry going with Derek Luke in Antwone Fischer . It's good she had it there since I haven't been feeling her in any role since, including that weak 2nd banana girlfriend to Jessica Alba in 'Honey' (ahhh Honey...) and now in her no chemistry role as Fiddy's girlfriend in 'Get Rich'. Don't get me wrong, y'all, I like JB, but she needs to start doing some stretchin' (and eating a couple more chedder biscuits wouldn't hurt her either...). It just seemed to me every time she hit the screen, the action (which flowed well) would grind to a stop.

How autobiographical that joint is (seems fairly close right up to the nine caps that got busted in Fiddy's a$$ - including one point blank in the jaw) is debatable but we all know that he didn't skip happily ever after into
the hip-hop statosphere with the girl (JB) that he was so into in the movie. Just ask Vivica 'bout that...

All in all I found that joint entertaining, y'all. 3 Spinners (no joke ) . The soundtrack is pretty slamming too. Guess now I'll have to peep The Game's performance in 'Waist Deep' before Fiddy figures out a way to erase all his footage...

Peace@Least,

Tyrone

No comments: