Monday, March 17, 2008

A Different Perspective on Jeremiah Wright

Wassup, Y'all!

Clearly with the events of the past few days involving the 'outing' of Smooth Barack's former pastor Jeremiah Wright, Smooth's denunciation of his remarks and the casting by conservatives some of not only Rev. Wright but the entire congregation of Trinity United Church of Christ and Smooth himself (a man with a northside mother who raised him with her northside parents) as racists, northside and southside nerves have been touched - big time.

As I mentioned in my 'The (Jeremiah) Wright Stuff' post, what this has really done is shine a billion megawatt spotlight on the racial divide in America. There's no better way to highlight this than to reprint the comments of my boy 'Tini Mack, a regular Malone Zone reader who has the unique perspectives of a Trinity United congregate and of a southside homey growing up and living in America. So without further ado, Mr. 'Tini Mack...

In reponse to my Smooth's Wright Rejection and Denunciation post:

"But let us be clear Ty, this shows that in order to run for the WHITE HOUSE, if you have been kissed by nature's sun, you have to give up a CERTAIN part of your BLACKNESS. I ask that anyone who heard the 39 seconds of Pastor Wright sermons to listen to all of it. He is a man who has played a very important part in the Black Church.

The experience of Blacks in America is much different than others who either stole the country or came over by choice. And where as Smooth-B has to play it down in order to still contend for the WHITE HOUSE, then so be it but he lost some points with me as Wright is NOT Farrakhan. But REST ASSURED that Rev. Wright was on the money in both of his sermons much like Minister Farrakhan is. So, in my mind Smooth-B just renounced and rejected the truth of my experience in this country. I'm cool with that 'cause I know you have to sell part of your soul in order to even have a chance at the WHITE HOUSE. I also know that Pastor Wright already knew this was coming and told the congregation a year ago that there would come a time when Smooth-B would have to distance himself from him and the church. So, there is not a fall out in the church. We are simply PISSED that our pastor has been made into a 39 second monster and that is unacceptable.

So, was Pastor Wright wrong when he called for an end to apartheid in [South Africa] a full 5 years before America called for it? Was he wrong to say that the biggest terrorist on the planet today is the USA as illustrated in the dropping of the atomic bomb on a city full in innocent people (not a military site like Pearl Harbor) [actually two cities]? How about letting brothers who had syphilis go untreated as a government experiment? I could go on but let me just end with what Fredrick Douglas said which is how many Africans in America view America while many whites and those who came over here by choice will never understand:

"The blessings in which you, this day, rejoice, are not enjoyed in common.-The rich inheritance of justice, liberty, prosperity and independence, bequeathed by your fathers, is shared by you, not by me. The sunlight that brought life and healing to you, has brought stripes and death to me. This Fourth July is yours, not mine. You may rejoice, I must mourn."

Fredrick Douglas 1852

I wish that one day an African who is running for WHITE HOUSE can stand up and boldly say what needs to be said so that true healing and understanding can begin. Smooth-B is not the one to do this as the country is not ready for real discussions on race.

Sorry for being long on this but attacks have long crossed the lines but now they seek to destroy the works of someone (Pastor Wright) who is more AMERICAN than the Mickey Fickey's who seek to destroy him."

More to come on this, y'all. It's too important to leave undone. 'Tini's not done and I need to weigh back in on this myself since 'Tini left me with my head bowed as well. I'll be back :-)

Peace@Least,

Tyrone

No comments: