Friday, March 14, 2008

Smooth's Wright Rejection and Denunciation

Wassup, Y'all!

Didn't take long, but after reading my post from yesterday, Smooth Barack has clarified his position on his former pastor, Reverend Jeremiah Wright and explains his decision to remain affiliated with his Chicago church, Trinity United Church of Christ...

In his response to the furor surrounding Rev. J-Wright's 'inflammatory and appaling remarks', Smooth had this to say about that:

'Let me say at the outset that I vehemently disagree and strongly condemn the statements that have been the subject of this controversy. I categorically denounce any statement that disparages our great country or serves to divide us from our allies. I also believe that words that degrade individuals have no place in our public dialogue, whether it's on the campaign stump or in the pulpit. In sum, I reject outright the statements by Rev. Wright that are at issue.'

Smooth goes on to clarify that the statements at issue were parts of sermons that he did not attend, nor were they discussed with Rev. J-Wright in private conversation. He closes with the following:

'With Rev. Wright's retirement and the ascension of my new pastor, Rev. Otis Moss, III, Michelle and I look forward to continuing a relationship with a church that has done so much good. And while Rev. Wright's statements have pained and angered me, I believe that Americans will judge me not on the basis of what someone else said, but on the basis of who I am and what I believe in; on my values, judgment and experience to be President of the United States.'

After reading the entire statement, I'm satisfied with the explanation. I'm sure his statement will be micro-parsed by the conservative talk show hosts until November as they try to keep this an issue, but I'm thinking only those who didn't plan to vote for Smooth in the first place will discount this statement and follow along with that ruckus. In my mind the statement clearly delineates Smooth's views on America from those of Rev. J-Wright. 'Nuff said.

Peace@Least,

Tyrone

No comments: