Saturday, August 19, 2006

Alicia Keys Holding Her Goodies TIGHT!

Wassup, Y'all!

What's this ruckus? A couple days ago I bumped into a few blog postings talking about Alicia Keys who admitted in the September issue of Sister 2 Sister magazine that she made her current boyfriend, Kerry 'Krucial' Brothers, wait 365 days before giving up the goodies! As in 1 calendar year. As in 1 orbit of the earth around the sun. As in now you see it, now come back in 12 months. As in daaaammmn. You know I couldn't walk away from this news without just a little commentary...

While participating in Big Tigger's 5th Annual Celebrity Classic - a jammy-jam geared toward raising awareness and funds for the HIV/AIDS pandemic, Alicia said in an interview: "I made him wait a year because my body is too beautiful to be violated by someone who doesn't deserve it." Hmmmm...I'd have to agree with the first part but it's interesting how a homeboy's worthiness builds as sex-free days accrue like sand at the bottom of an hour glass...

The article gives Alicia's take on 'How to Get A Man Worth Keeping' and I'm thinking with this type of relationship prerequisite the article should really be title 'Why I can't Keep a Man' until I remembered we are taking about Alicia... So that gets me to thinking whether my shallow a$$ could step up to such a demand if it was dropped on me after the first date. Hmmmmm...

Alicia went on to say, "Make these dudes wait. If they can't wait, then you already know what they want from you and walk away." Now I'm like uh oh, this is starting to make a *little* bit of sense. And finally when asked about what girls today are learning from TV and especially a lot of the hip hop videos out today, she took the gloves off and showed where her real feelings were coming from on this by saying, "All it shows us [girls] is to be frivolous, to be promiscuous, to be fast, to don't think before we move, to be stupid, to be silly. We need to change that...". Okay, now I am feeling shallow, especially since I have a biddy-boy niece in her formative years.

All I can say is that 'Krucial' has got to be made of that stuff that Special Forces soldiers have that allow them to withstand brutal torture if caught behind enemy lines because that's pretty much what that amounts too - particularly if homeboy got an opportunity to actually see what he was missing (and you figure that after a year of dating ol boy had to at least see her hop out the shower a couple times - if not, you dummy!)

Now I admit there were some shortys in my dating past that dropped a similar demand but those timeframes were relatively short (e.g. 3-6 months) in comparison to Alicia's are-you-serious timeframe. Even those demands gave me a moment pause and gave me ample opportunity to sharpen my negotiation skills ('Three months!? How 'bout twelve days + a weekend a month?'). I know I'm triflin', y'all but I can admit it.

Anyway, the only picture I have of Krucial during that year is a remake of that scene from Spike Lee's 'She's Gotta Have it' where Mars Blackmon was pleadin' 'Please, baby, baby, please' cuz you know ol boy had to be beggin'. Still, I have agree with C&D's take on this situation - it does send a good message to the little shortys out there. Also, I've got nothing but love for Krucial for keepin' his eye on the prize and knuckling up. It could be worse, I hear Stedman is still waiting for the green light from Oprah...

Peace@Least,

Tyrone

No comments: