Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Blade's 'Sticky' Jones takes a bite out of crime...

Wassup, Y'all!

Got caught by the rule of three yesterday (when I see three different things about the same thing within a month I have to post on it - it's like one of those grandmama superstitions like throwing salt over your left shoulder...) when I read an article in Entertainment Weekly by Gillian Flynn ('Plenty of Bite' - July 28, 2006) about the newest incarnation of the daywalking, vampire killer Blade. I had just watched my first episode on Spike TV as I had heard pretty good things about it and I'm a fan of the movie version starring Blackula himself - Wesley Snipes. Now Wesley handled his business as Blade so I wanted to see if the TV Blade - Kirk 'Sticky' Jones could hold it up as well - 'specially with a name like Sticky...

I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised, y'all. The action's good and Sticky is a good fit for Wesley's movie shoes so I may have to put Blade: The Series on regular TiVo rotation for a few. Initially I had my doubts about Sticky after watching him in the FX original series Over There - a joint about the Iraq war (since cancelled but I liked that joint too - hence the cancellation...). Sticky played a homeboy wannabe thug from the mean streets dropped in the middle of that Baghdad ruckus. Mostly he did a lot of mean mugging while trying to do as little productive as possible. Turns out all that mean mugging practice worked out as that's Blade's forte, jack.

I also wasn't too surprised to find out in the article that his cousin is Fredro Starr cuz those two look just alike. Y'all know Fredro - think of the typical stereotypical rapper/ soldier and a picture of Fredro should materialize right in your head. If not, here go a glossy of cousin to help with the recollection. He does his fair share of mean mugging in every role he plays too, which makes me wonder what Sticky's moms looks like day to day, since I'm one who believes that shortys should never be out in public mean mugging. Tell me I'm lying - in Fredro's next three roles his character names are Phya, J-Dub and Clem. Look into his recent past and you'll see character names like 6Pak, Ice Pick, Ice Cold, and Pharaoh. See what I'm saying? If you look closely you'll see Fredro is really spelled G-H-E-T-T-O. But I digress...

Anyway, it looks like Sticky has a semi-hit on his hands. Hopefully it works out a little better than his rap career with Onyx (y'all know his mama didn't name him no damn Sticky so there *had* to be a rap career somewhere in there...) where he busted on the scene in '93 as Sticky Fingaz with Fredro and a couple other petty criminals boyz from Queens. Since you homeboys know you're already over on Spike TV checking out such educational shows as Blind Date, you might as well give Sticky a peep Wednesday nights at 10 pm ET and draw your own Stickly/Wesley conclusions...

Peace@Least,

Tyrone

No comments: