Thursday, June 23, 2005

Dreamgirls Party All The Time...

Wassup, Y'all!

The more I hear about it the more I'm looking forward to peeping the finished product. The 'it' is the film version of the rocking 1982 play Dreamgirls which had already reeled in a cast that included Jamie Foxx, Beyonce and Usher. Now that Eddie Murphy has signed on as well, Dreamgirls is shaping up to be a hot ticket (on paper)...

The south side nation is well aware of the Dreamgirls story - a rags to riches tale about The Dreams - a trio of singers loosely based on the Supremes of Motown fame. The play helped 'launch' a few careers - Jennifer Holliday (whose soulful rendition of 'And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going' became her signature song) and Sheryl Lee Ralph, who played the 'Diana Ross' character Deena Jones on Broadway - the role Beyonce will be taking over in the film.

I'm holding out hope for this joint, particularly because the same guy who did the movie version of Chicago (Bill Condon) is doing Dreamgirls. I got a chance to see both the play and film versions of Chicago and old boy knows his business. I still crack up at that Chicago 'Cell Block Tango' - He had it coming!

Eddie will play James 'Thunder' Early, the star The Dreams first sing back up for and word is that Donkey will be doing his own singing (hopefully not that whack a** La Vida Loca he sang with Antonio Bandaras at the end of Shrek 2!!). Man - I'm already dusting off my 12" single of Party All The Time and adding it to the Hoopty Old School Rotation! Girl I can't understand it, why you want to hurt me...you give your number to every man you see...

Hopefully the stars will line up and this joint will live up to the building hype because now that Destiny's Child is folding and Beyonce's film resume includes Austin Powers Goldmember, The Fighting Temptation and the upcoming (and much delayed and already panned) The Pink Panther, old girl can use a hit that showcases her talent. Refer to the glossy above to see her talent in action. I remain in awe of Jay-Z everyday, y'all...

Peace@Least,

Tyrone

No comments: