Wednesday, August 17, 2005

40 Still Not Fatal...

Wassup, Y'all!

As I was flipping through this month's Ebony magazine, I hit an article they were propping about sexy shortys over 40 and you know I had to pause and investigate since I had profiled (or at least commented) on every one of them but one - the mysterious Miss. Veronica Webb who's been dodging the cameras more efficiently than Big Foot, The Loch Ness Monster and Dave Chappelle combined. I used to see V-Webb popping up all over the magazine dial (and I believe her most recent stint was as a model for Alize liquor (a rumored worthy competitor to Hpnotiq that I've yet to sample - they even have a joint called Bleu that looks just like Hp!)) and I often wondered what happened to old girl as looks like these aren't meant to be under cover...

They rounded out the top five with my girl Jasmine Guy, Vivica Fox, Robin Givens and cutie Lela Rochon. Can't fault the choices, y'all as that's a good cross section. I'm a bit surprised Robin Givens even warrants a mention these days but I have to admit that to diss Mike Tyson on national TV and still live to be 40 years old is an impressive achievement. Still out of that crop - it's Veronica Webb who is most intriguing. It's not every day that the first south side shorty to be offered a major cosmetics firm (Revlon) contract just falls off the face of the earth, but, of course, V-Webb wasn't just another pretty face. Old girl brought the whole package to the table - beauty *and* brains, which she put to work as a writer/journalist. Truthfully I'm kinda shocked that Tyra Banks is going to beat her to punch and launch a talk show first as I always saw Veronica either pulling up to the news/sports anchor bumper or parlaying her double threat into a lucrative media empire. I mean come on, y'all - if Oprah can pull it off showing up the way she did back in the day (Oprah - if you're reading this - girl, I'm just playing...) V-Webb *sure* could have had a shot. Tell me I'm lying, y'all. That glossy is *so* far away from those O Magazine covers it ain't *even* funny. Old girl was the first Extreme Makeover...

Peace@Least,

Tyrone

No comments: