Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Measuring Beauty: Beyonce & Robin Roberts

Wassup, Y'all!

We have to admit it - we live in a very superficial society where looks dictate in large measure, how popular, successful and admired you'll be. The pressure on shortys to measure up is pretty overwhelming. It would have to be if 21% of 1,000 respondents to a Fitness Magazine poll said they would be willing to give up 10 years of their lives to be an 'ideal' weight. Think about that.

It doesn't get any better for shortys today as guys all over the world flock to newsstands to pick up the coveted 2008 Sport's Illustrated Swimsuit Issue - a publishing event that seems to gets just a bit less coverage than the Superbowl. Think about that. The most popular feature, in the most popular issue of a national sports magazine isn't even related to sports. I'm not hatin', homeys, I'll be shoulder to shoulder with you at the newsstand today, but at least ol Ty is questioning the effect of his actions....

Recently I happened across two articles on shortys on opposite ends of the superficiality scale - Jay-Z's girl Beyonce Giselle and GMA co-anchor Robin Roberts. We know BG rarely makes a step out in public without the weave hair, makeup and clothes tight. I also found it a little funny that Ol girl was quoted last year sayin', 'I'm just jealous that I wasn't born Latina. I wish I had been because the culture is so beautiful'. Clearly BG isn't tapped into any Black History Month programs because her own culture is just as beautiful.

Robin Roberts, on the other hand, has just finished up chemotherapy treatments for breast cancer and, as part of GMA's, 'I Dare You' series she walked the catwalk at Isaac Mizrahi's Fall 2008 Collection show in NYC - arguably one of the most superficial events on the NYC social calendar - without her wig. Now to be a shorty, in that venue, and make a move like that - how much heart does that take? That's a move and a message that I think speaks volumes about her character and where superficiality fits in her life. I think we'd all do better if it fit in the same spot in ours.

I got to give it up to homegirl for that one. You go Rob-Rob!

Peace@Least,

Tyrone

No comments: