Saturday, January 29, 2005

Firefox-y Brown - New Jack Blogging

Hello People,

Brother Tyrone is out on assignment and he asked me to fill in for this column as I'm somewhat famous myself. A few of you may recognize me from my sizable role in the movie Undercover Brother - yes, that's right, Smart Brother is your Urban Eye for today so I'm here to drop a little knowledge on how you can simplify your blog reading routine simply by checking out the hot new browser Firefox. I'll pause while all you Internet Explorer users get done screaming...

If you haven't heard of Firefox by now, you need to ask somebody. The Mozilla crew has put the finishing touches on version 1.0 and to steal a line from Brother Tyrone - it's all that and a bag of chips. Everyday users will appreciate the tabbed browsing (where you can load multiple pages into the same browser window to get rid of all that multi-window clutter). Intermediate users will appreciate the smart keywords (where you can do a keyword search of any web site by entering a keyword and search term in your location bar) and you blogophiles will come to love Live Bookmarks which allow you to subscribe to your favorite blogs (like this one) and save them as browser bookmarks. Once subscribed (which you can do with a single mouse click while visiting the blog), the blog name will appear as a bookmark and each post will show up in a sub-menu. This way you can see at a glance if your favorite blogger has put up a new post and go right to it. That's just plain neat, people.

I know there are those of you out there saying - blah, blah, blah Smart Brother, you can do all that with a news aggregator and that's true. But admit it - you spend 99% of your online life glued to your browser and now, there's no need to ever leave it to check if your favorite blogs have new material. I'm just thinking of you and trying to save a few busy moments out of your day so you can spend them with your Tivo. So check it out - the price is affordable (free).

So to wrap up - I know Brother Tyrone is fond of posting photographs of scantily clad, attractive women but I'm not down with such a shallow, juvenile and sexist practice. So I'll leave you with a photograph I believe to be much more appropriate.


Dr. Mae Jemison

*sigh* The first black female astronaut in space and one of my personal heroes. Now that's a shorty.

Respectfully,

Smart Brother, Ph.D

No comments: