Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Madness in a Bottle

Wassup, Y'all!

As I scour the known world for post material (yes, y'all I actually do put a little thought into my posts...) there's one rule I always go by called "The Rule of Three" and it goes like this: If I see something I haven't seen before pop up three times while I'm idly handling my business - it's automatic post material. In this case, I read an article in Reuters that tipped the balance toward a potent green concoction called Absinthe also known as (accurately it seems) Madness in a Bottle. See that's a nickname that to me just screams out Try Me!...


A Glass of Absinthe Served Traditionally
Hmmm...looks innocent enough...

So the deal is you pour five parts cold water (over the sugar cube to melt it into the water) to every part Absinthe then guzzle it down. Careful movie watchers will recognize this as the beverage Susan Sarandon was serving Jude Law in Alfie (sighting #1). Just last night, Little Cujo (my dog) stepped on the remote (no lie!) as I was getting ready to call it a night and flipped the channel to a late night showing of EuroTrip on HBO. Now I never would have watched this joint ordinarily but the little I saw got me laughing and encouraged me to check it out for a while and eventually the four American kids found their way to a nightclub in some jacked up eastern European burg and started drinking some Absinthe (which seems to be banned in most parts of the world) (sighting #2). Two of the kids were brother and sister and they got so jacked up on Absinthe that they started french kissing each other on the dance floor without realizing who they were kissing (yes y'all - that is freaky)! So now the Absinthe notion is percolatin'. Then today, I read that Switzerland, which banned Absinthe in 1910, just recently legalized it again (sighting #3).

First, big ups to my Swiss readers (who seem to like to pop in just to check out the Fergie pics I posted - no hatin on that y'all - I like your taste (even more so now)!) Second, y'all need to hook a brother up with a bootleg bottle since the Green Fairy is banned here in the U.S.!! A quick peep at the Who's Who of Absinthe drinkers gives more than a little credence to the nickname Madness in a Bottle, to wit: Vincent Van Gogh (chopped off his ear), Ernest Hemingway (shotgun in the mouth), Oscar "Buck" Wilde (convicted of homosexual acts and did hard time), Toulouse-Lautrec (heavy drinking brought on a stroke), Picasso (you ever peep his paintings?) and the hits go on. So I'm starting my letter writing campaign today to get the embargo dropped so we Americans can begin to enjoy our own "Heure Verte" (Green Hour). It's all about the GREEN, y'all - bump St. Paddy's Day. I'm looking for an Absinthe Day (and one of those mature, sexy shortys like Susan Sarandon or Teri Hatcher to show me the way...)


Susan Sarandon
My designated tour guide through the madness

If y'all don't hear from me for a few - you know the deal. Keep it on the down low. I don't need any U.S. Customs officials all up in my video. Now where did I put those sugar cubes....

Peace@Least

Tyrone

P.S. Big ups to Terri Hatcher - #7 on FHM's 100 Sexiest Woman 2005 list. My girl Halle was holding it down for the South Side sisters with a strong #5. In the "I'm not surprised" category - Britney Spears didn't even make the list...

No comments: