Monday, January 07, 2008

Stick and Move: Ty finally saw I Am Legend

Wassup, Y'all!

I know, I know, but I was busy, y'all. You have no idea the time it takes me to roll out of bed every morning!

Anyway, I did get a chance to peep I Am Legend on Friday and if you connect with the movie behind the movie (and stop all that woofin' about weak special effects) that joint is pretty haunting. I like movies that put somethin' on your mind and have you leavin' the theater ponderin' some things. 'Legend' did that for me. Big Willy did his thing so there was enough action to keep things flowin', but the idea that scientists could put together a 'cancer curing virus' and start using it without fully understanding what the side effects were kinda reminds me of the type of ethically dubious and dangerous genetic engineering going on today. In 'Legend', this type of experimentation led to the death of 90% of the world's population and the mutation of another 9%. Now, I'm in the theater absorbin' this horrific 'what-if' scenario after readin' a real article about South Korean scientists cloning cats that glow...

Just the lead paragraph to that article was enough to have me on the pot for most of the day, y'all:

"...they have cloned cats whose genes have been altered so that they glow in the dark - taking advantage of a technological twist that could someday be used to make more dramatic genetic changes in all sorts of creatures."

For those of y'all who haven't see the movie - I recommend you read that article, THEN go see 'Legend' and tell me if you don't leave the theater with your hair standin' up. That joint is bleak, sad, cautionary and very much worth a peep. 2.5 Spinners.

Peace@Least,

Tyrone

No comments: