Saturday, July 23, 2005

Hustled out my flow...

Wassup, Y'all!

Caught Hustle & Flow earlier tonight, y'all and I have to say that the acting was top notch, but the story didn't quite close the deal for me. I can only grant that joint 2.5 spinners - a far cry from the 'Second Coming of Ray' hype that Harry from Ain't It Cool News was showering down on this joint. Don't get me wrong - I liked it (and even downloaded a couple cuts from the soundtrack), but, as is normally the case when a movie spends some tall months getting hyped, it didn't meet my expectations. That said, Terrence Howard and Taraji P. Henderson (old girl was the sleeper star in my opinion) were off the meter and Anthony Anderson's toned down role did a good job of showcasing the fact that the brother does have some pretty good acting chops. What the movie does show (really well) is how these grassroots rappers can distill their life experiences into fresh rhymes and how 'kitchen' producers can wrap them in tight beats and lyrical hooks. Pretty interesting how-to, y'all.

Peace@Least,

Tyrone

No comments: