Saturday, July 02, 2005

War of the Whack

Wassup, Y'all!

Don't blame me - I was the one talking up this movie the over the last month. If there was any movie I wanted to see do well (and this one will - at least this weekend...) it was this one, but after catching the late night show of War of the Worlds last night, I seem to be in the 23% percent minority that left the theater feeling a little unsatisfied - and not just because there weren't any sexy shortys in the movie. Don't get me wrong - the special effects were off the meter - I haven't seen better anywhere. There was drama and suspense but when you spend most of the movie just wishing Tom Cruise would give his two kids a Department of Children and Family Services sized beatdown (and one of those kids is little a** Dakota Fanning) that tells me there's an issue with the plot, y'all...

The main issue is that the dysfunctional family angle distracted you from the real story - the end of the world. Little Dakota Fanning is starting to get a bit typecast as the precocious little girl (which she plays *really* well so I'm going out on a limb by guessing she probably really is precocious). From the first time I caught her in I Am Sam with Sean Penn, she's been pretty much playing the same character (kinda like Samuel L. Jackson) and this go 'round she was one annoying character. But what really clinched it for me was an ending that was unrealistic and unfulfilling. I never read the story by H. G. Wells so it might actually be his weak a** ending, but whoever's to blame. I didn't buy that joint for a second. Check it out then come back and tell me that I'm wrong.

Independence Day did the whole end of the world thing so much better (and had a plausible ending for how the earth was saved). Man you had jet fighters against flying saucers, aliens in Area 51 *and* Vivica Fox playing a rump shaker - always an added bonus to any end of the world mayhem and destruction, y'all. Maybe I liked Batman Begins because I really didn't have any high expectations for it from jump. Not so with War of the Worlds. From the first time I peeped that trailer I was like: I *got* to see that joint! I need to stop doing that...

So even though my boy Morgan Freeman was in this one too (unseen narrator in the beginning and end...) I can only give this joint 2.5 Spinners, y'all. Sad but true. Anyway - go check the joint out and draw your own conclusions. Mine are spelled d-i-s-a-p-p-o-i-n-t-e-d...

Peace@Least,

Tyrone

No comments: